- White House and British officials are racing to set up meeting in Boston on Friday
- A quirk of timing puts Biden there at same time as Prince and Princess of Wales
- They last visited the U.S. eight years ago when they met Barack Obama
- Biden is expected to meet the royals – but officials are still finalizing details
- It is the royal couple’s first overseas trip since the death of Queen Elizabeth II
Neither side will comment publicly.
But sources familiar with arrangements said the heir to the British throne and Biden are trying to make use of a scheduling quirk that puts them both in Boston on the same day.
The White House announced on Tuesday that Biden will be in town for a political fundraiser.
It has left the two sides scrambling to nail down timings and protocol for two busy schedules.+10View gallery
The Prince and Princess of Wales arrive in Boston on Wednesday for a three-day trip. They are expected to meet President Joe Biden on Friday, as officials nail down arrangements+10View gallery
The White House confirmed on Tuesday that Biden will travel to Boston. ‘The president will participate in a reception for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee,’ it said
Neither the White House nor Kensington Palace responded to requests for comment on preparations for a meeting.
This is the royal couple’s first overseas travel since the death of Queen Elizabeth II —when William was elevated to first in line to the throne – and their first trip to the U.S. in eight years. Back then, William met with President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.