- A goal in the 38th minute from winger Christian Pulisic was all that was required for the USMNT on Tuesday
- The youngest squad fielded so far at this World Cup began on the front foot, ending strong defensively
- Midfielders Tyler Adams, Yunus Musah, and Weston McKennie continued their outstanding impact this match
- Meanwhile, an Iran team facing political pressure from the Islamic Republic face a daunting trip back home
- With this victory, the United States finish second in Group B and will play Group A winners the Netherlands
- Stream the World Cup now with FuboTV (free trial)
- Click here for the latest World Cup 2022 news, fixtures, live action and results
As is often the case, it is the young ones who go to war.
Here, in the most politically-supercharged World Cup battle since these two last met in 1998, the kids were alright – and America celebrated.
With an average age of 24 years and 321 days, US coach Gregg Berhalter boldly chose to field the youngest XI of the tournament.
A determined United States squad relied on dominant midfield play and relentless pressure to make the Round of 16+17View gallery
The youngest squad fielded at the World Cup was able to hold Iran to just four shots on the night thanks to strong defense+17View gallery
Meanwhile, Iranian players – who face political pressure from the Islamic Republic – face an uncertain trip back home